Look My Food's On TV!

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Caramel Chocolate Cookies

I love these cookies so I figured I would start with them. I am a huge fan of caramel and chocolate chip cookie dough. One of my favorite treats is to get a concrete mixer from Culver's with caramel and chocolate chip cookie dough mixed in. I knew I wanted to make something like that and starting with Hershey's chocolate chip cookie recipe I made some additions and subtractions to make this yummy cookie.

The first time I made this recipe I omitted one stick of butter for the caramel and didn't add any more flour than what the recipe called for. After baking them 8 minutes I discovered that they had spread out paper thin. While still tasty that was not what I was going for. So I added more flour to the dough and that stopped the cookies from spreading so much. I have also made these cookies with chocolate covered cookie dough bites that you can buy in the store. I then omitted some of the chocolate chips. They ended up being really good.

I favor milk chocolate chips in this recipe but I have made these cookies using white, dark, and semi-sweet chocolate chips, and all work well. The secret ingredient is caramel ice cream topping. To make these cookies over the top add a Hershey caramel kiss to each right when they come out of the oven. My husband, Will, calls them addictive and a co-worker of mine said they were sinful. She said it wasn't a compliment, but I totally take it as one. Sinful is good in my book when it comes to sweet treats. Now on to the recipe.

Caramel Chocolate Cookies

adapted from the recipe on the back of the Hershey's chocolate chip bag

Printer Friendly Version


1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips (any flavor is good)
Hershey caramel kisses, optional

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a mixing bowl cream together the butter, caramel, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add eggs, beat well. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture into the butter mixture until fully incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoons or by cookie scoop unto a ungreased baking pan.

3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. If using caramel kisses place one on top of each cookie. Cool slightly and remove from pan to a cookie rack or plate. If using teaspoon makes about 5 dozen. If using cookie scoop makes a little over 2 dozen.

Enjoy, and try not to eat all of them in one sitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment