Look My Food's On TV!

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Red Velvet Cake Balls


I have wanted to make cake balls for a long time and I'm not sure why I waited so long. They were very simple and tasted great. I had a family Christmas Lantern/Treat program at the library on Wednesday and I made these tasty morsels to serve while they made their treat jars. I want to try strawberry cake dipped in chocolate next.



Red Velvet Cake Balls
makes about 4 dozen

Printer Friendly Version

1 box red velvet cake mix, (I'm sure if you wanted to make your cake from scratch that would be good too)
1 can cream cheese frosting
1 bag milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
wax paper

1. Prepare your cake according to the instructions on the box for a 9X13 pan. Once baked cool completely.

2. In a large bowl crumble the cake and mix in the can of frosting until incorporated. Use your hands if you dare.

3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls. I used my small cookie scoop and left the bottoms flat instead of rolling.

4. Put in the freezer to freeze. A half hour is
sufficient but I found that freezing overnight made dipping even easier.

5. In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and oil in 30 second intervals until smooth.

6. Working in small batches dip one cake ball at a time and place on wax paper. Once all are dipped place back in freezer to harden the chocolate.

7. After a half hour check to make sure the chocolate is hard and then store in a container in the
refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment