Look My Food's On TV!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I really like chicken tortilla soup. I have mainly had it in restaurants but I have made it at home. I made a really good recipe a few months back but of course I couldn't find the recipe for it and didn't remember all the ingredients. So I started looking online for one. I found a recipe by a Pastor Tom, called Pastor Tom's Tortilla Soup. I liked how he blends tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and sugar together. So I printed it out to give it a try. Then of course I found the other recipe I was looking for so I decided to use elements of both recipes.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

8 t0 10 servings
2 WW points per cup w/o tortillas

Printer Friendly Version


1 can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, cut up
2 clove garlic, or tablespoon minced garlic
1 bunch cilantro
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Two containers low sodium chicken broth
2 cans white chicken meat, undrained
2 or 3 chipotle peppers and little adobo sauce
2 t. lime juice

tortilla chips, I used a brand called Texas Toast Tortilla Strips Chipotle Cheese flavored they were 1 point per 11 strips
shredded cheese

In a blender or food processor combine undrained tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and sugar. Cover and blend until nearly smooth. Put mixture in a stock pot with chicken, chicken broth, and chipotle peppers. I only used two chipotle peppers and I removed the seeds. Next time I will blend the peppers up with the tomato mixture because I didn't like the big chunks. Add the lime juice. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve soup with crushed tortillas and cheese if desired. Cheese adds on WW points as well.

Next time I think I will add another can of chicken and double the tomato mixture. I think I will cook it in my crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment