Look My Food's On TV!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Open Face Italian Sloppy Joes

I was inspired to make this from a Rachel Ray recipe. I found a recipe called Meatball Melties in her March 2010 magazine. It's basically a meatball hamburger with fire roasted tomatoes and cheese on a ciabatta roll. Instead of making hamburgers I made sloppy joes and added my own twists. I thought it was really tasty. Hubby said it was good, so that is his form of approval.

This only took about 15 minutes to make. Easy meal for a weeknight. Or easy meal for a lazy weekend. I'm definitely having one of those this weekend.

Open Face Italian Sloppy Joes
6 servings, 9 WW points per joe

Printer Friendly Version


1 lb lean ground turkey
1 cup spaghetti sauce
1 can fire roasted tomatoes with garlic
1 small can mushrooms, drained
Dash of garlic powder
Dash of pepper
Dash of oregano
6 frozen garlic ciabatta rolls with cheese
6 slices of low fat provolone cheese

Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees

In a skillet brown the turkey. Add the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, and mushrooms. I didn't measure the spices I just added a dash of garlic, pepper, and oregano. Let the mixture get hot and bubbly. In the meantime bake the ciabatta rolls for 7 minutes. Split the mixture evenly over the rolls and top with a slice of provolone cheese. Place back in the oven and let the cheese melt, about 5 minutes.

I have found low fat garlic bread at Key Market or I think it's now named Central Market that would reduce some of the points. My hubby says the low fat bread tastes like cardboard but I think it tastes fine. Next time I make these I will use the low fat bread for myself and the ciabatta bread for hubby. Save me some points.











































2 comments:

  1. I think the garlic bread would be better anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. expat

    ReplyDelete