Look My Food's On TV!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pumpkin Creme Pies or as I like to call them Pumpkin Roll Cookies

I'm not sure if Jessica, my friend in Arizona, was looking forward to seeing me when I visited or just looking forward to my cookies. Jess I kid, I know you wanted to see me. But I know you wanted cookies too and I had no problem accommodating you. You know how much I love to bake.

Baking lately has been very therapeutic. I lost my mother last year on January 4th. She had been suffering for a long time and I know she is in a better place but my heart hasn't quite accepted that yet. I miss her with each beat of my heart. When I was in fourth grade my mom went back to work and I wanted to help out more. It took me awhile but I talked her into letting me cook so I could have dinner ready when she got home. I know she worried but I didn't burn the house down and she encouraged me to try different things. She taught me what I needed to know and she let me explore. Coming up on the 1 year anniversary of her death is very hard but I have some new recipes to try and am hopeful that will help me through. Plus I have an awesome support group.

I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen. I love the Pioneer Woman. She seems so down to earth and the food she churns out looks and from the recipes I have tried taste fantastic. I was really excited when she started the Tasty Kitchen so home cooks like me could share their recipes. I have found many great recipes including these out of this world creme pies. One of my favorite treats during the fall/winter time is pumpkin rolls. Pumpkin rolls are one of those items you only seem to find around this time of year. I have made pumpkin rolls but they are time consuming and by the time my mom and I would finish making them the kitchen would look like a pumpkin tornado had hit. I'm not the cleanest cook. When I made these creme pies I was delighted to find out they tasted just like my beloved pumpkin roll without the hassle. Since Jessica loves pumpkin roll too I had to make them for her. Instead of making sandwich cookies you could just frost each cookie with the sinful cream cheese frosting. Yum, yum. I did tweak the recipe a little. It called for ginger, cloves, and nutmeg so instead of using those I went with pumpkin pie spice that has those spices in it. I didn't follow the method of baking the pies. I found using my cookie scoop a lot easier for me.

This is me mixing up the frosting. As you can see all the junk around me I like to use each utensil and make a mess. I'm not sorry, that's just how I am.










Jessica is helping me by frosting the pies. Her mom helped too but I didn't get a picture of her. Sorry Joy.











Pumpkin Creme Pies
adapted from The Deutsch Girl seen on Tasty Kitchen

Printer Friendly Version

For the pies:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 15 oz can pumpkin
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt

For the frosting:

1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 16oz package powdered sugar
3 splashes of vanilla
2 dashes of cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

To make the batter:

In a large mixing bowl beat together brown sugar, sugar, oil and pumpkin. Add eggs one at time, mixing well after each addition, followed by the vanilla.

In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.

Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.

Place a silicone baking mat on cookie sheet or a piece of parchment paper. Spray either with cooking spray. Drop batter on the cookie sheet by using a medium size cookie scoop. Leave enough room between each cookie because they will spread. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to a wire rack or plate to cool.

While cookies are baking make the frosting. In a bowl mix together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar to the cream cheese mixture until incorporated. Add vanilla and cinnamon and mix well.

Once cooled flip half of the cookies over, frost, and place remaining un frosted cookies on top.

Place in seal tight container and store in the fridge. These are so good. Try not to eat all the frosting before you frost all the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment