Look My Food's On TV!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Stuffed Pepper Soup

So today was D day. D meaning back on my diet day. Except I don't like the word diet so I will call it a lifestyle change. I have jumped back in my Weight Watcher wagon and am hopeful I will have less bumps this time then I did last time. I do need to learn the new program. They went and changed it on me. But I subscribe to the online tools so I should be okay. I am definitely ready to eat healthier and start exercising. Though I do hate to exercise. I'm still trying to talk myself into liking it. I haven't succeeded yet. To help me get back into the swing of things I went to the store and bought healthy foods, lettuce, veggies, low calorie snacks, and stuff to make stuffed pepper soup. I love this soup but don't make it that often because my hubby doesn't care for green peppers. I didn't make him eat something he's not fond of so I cooked him one of the freezer meals I prepared a few weeks ago. I will be posting about that tomorrow.

I was introduced to stuffed pepper soup by my other mother Mary. Mary is mom to Angela and Angela is one of my very close friends. Angela and I met in elementary school and we became friends and so did our mothers. Mary and Angela are always there when I need them. I got the recipe from Mary and have modified it slightly over the years to make it mine. The original recipe calls for ground beef, rice, and just green peppers but I substitute turkey for the beef, orzo for the rice, and a variety of peppers. If you like stuffed peppers you are going to love this soup. And for those of you changing your lifestyle this soup is waist line friendly at only 3 points a cup.

Looking at this picture makes me realize I need to organize my measuring cups and spoons. It looks a little chaotic.

What you need: Big bottle of V8 Juice, ground turkey, can of diced tomatoes garlic powder, pepper, onion, peppers (green, yellow, orange, and red), orzo, and olive oil. Or if you are allergic to olive oil like my friend Jessica use vegetable oil.





First start by chopping up the peppers. I used one yellow pepper, one orange pepper, one and half green peppers, and a half of a red pepper.











Chop up a medium onion. In a stock pot pour in some olive oil or vegetable oil. Then throw in the peppers and onions and saute until almost tender. Add the ground turkey, garlic powder, and pepper and cook until turkey is cooked through. Most of the time I don't need to drain this because turkey is not very fatty but if you have excess grease drain it.






This is the cooked pepper, onion, and meat mixture. Doesn't it look pretty with all the colors. To this add the bottle of V8 juice and the can of diced tomatoes. Once the juice is hot add the orzo. Let cook for about 20 more minutes or until the orzo is cooked.








Stuffed Pepper Soup

3 WW points per cup

Printer Friendly Version


1 package lean ground turkey
1 large bottle of V8 juice
1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper
1 1/2 green peppers
1/2 red pepper
1 onion
1/2 tablespoon to a tablespoon garlic powder, I like a lot of garlic so I use a lot
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can diced tomatoes
4 oz uncooked orzo
Olive Oil

Directions:

Dice up the peppers and onion. Place a stock pot on the stove and pour in enough olive oil to lightly cover the bottom of the pan. You want enough to keep the peppers and onions from sticking to the pan but not so much that they are swimming in oil. Saute until almost tender. Add the turkey. To the pan add the garlic powder and pepper. I don't measure I just shake it in. Cook until the turkey is cooked through. Drain if you need to but most of the time turkey isn't to greasy.

To the turkey mixture add the V8 juice and tomatoes. Let the juice heat up and then add the orzo. Cook for about 20 more minutes or until the orzo is cooked through. This allows for all the flavors to meld together.

I like to eat mine with shredded cheese and crackers. If you are doing WW using cheese and crackers will add on some points.

No comments:

Post a Comment