Look My Food's On TV!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wet Burritos


I enjoy cooking, especially for other people. While I was in Arizona my friend wanted me to make a recipe called Wet Burritos. The name is a little strange but that's what it was called. What makes these burritos "wet" is a mixture of sour cream and cream of mushroom soup. Let me give you some background on this yummy recipe. I don't actually know where the recipe came from. I think my mom might have found it in the newspaper or it could have been passed down from a friend. I can't remember and she is no longer with us for me to ask. My mom would make these a lot when we went camping on the weekends. They became a camping staple.

My mom and I along with my Godparents enjoyed camping each year for two weeks in Michigan. When the campground we went to didn't except dogs anymore we found a campground closer to home that we could frequent more often. We did not do that tent camping thing. I actually had never been tent camping until two years ago. We camped in campers. Our camper was a very small box. When you entered the only door you could stand in the entryway and touch the table on the right hand side, the bed on the left hand side, and the sink in front of you. It was small but cozy. And it's hard to believe that my parents and my Godparents used to sleep in that thing with two basset hounds and me in a cradle. But we had some really good times and I was sad to see it go when we upgraded to a bigger camper and then upgraded again to an even bigger camper.

The even bigger camper had an oven and that was when my mom started making these burritos for our weekend camping trips. Jessica, my friend in Arizona, would come with us often on our camping trips and that is where she was introduced to these yummy burritos. And they became known as our camping burritos. When we stopped camping we would still make them at home. It had been a really long time since I had made them and they were just as yummy as I remembered. I will be making them more often.

Wet Burritos
original recipe origin unknown, made by my mom

Printer Friendly Version


1lb ground beef, browned
1 medium onion, diced
1 package taco seasoning
3/4 cup water
1 can re fried beans
1 large container sour cream
2 10oz cans of cream of mushroom soup
2 cups Mexican shredded cheese
8 to 10 flour tortillas

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

In a skillet brown the ground beef and onion until on longer pink. Drain the beef and put back in the pan. Add the taco seasoning and the water. Mix well until taco seasoning is incorporated. Mix in can of re fried beans. Mix well and let the beans warm through. Once heated take off the heat. While beef is cooking in a bowl mix together the sour cream and the cream of mushroom soup.

In a 9X13 pan spread half the sour cream mixture on the bottom. Take a tortilla and fill with the beef mixture and a sprinkling of cheese. Roll and place seam side down in the sour cream mixture. Repeat with the remaining tortillas until the pan is filled. Take the remaining sour cream mixture and pour over the filled tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.


No comments:

Post a Comment