Look My Food's On TV!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cheese Tortellini Soup

Oh the weather outside is frightful but the fire is so delightful and since there's no place to go let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. I'm fine with it snowing since the library was closed today and I didn't have to get out. We couldn't even get out our front door this morning the snow had drifted so high against the screen door. Will tried going out the back door and it was iced up so he had to take out the window and screen so he could climb out that way. I'm pretty sure it's still snowing. UPS even closed last night the weather was so bad. Lake County declared a state of emergency and we were told to only go out if it was an emergency. To stay inside and off the roads. Fine by me. I'm rather cozy sitting here in my bed watching CSI Miami. What's a girl to do when it's cold and snowy out? Make soup of course.

I found this recipe on the Tasty Kitchen site. It looked really good and seemed really easy to make. Both were true. The cheese tortellini is the star. Very delicious. My hubby gave me a gold star so that means he really liked it. Most of the time I only get a "It was good." It is also low in points which I love. If you get a cupful of tortellini without the broth it won't be low in points so make sure the tortellini gets distributed when you serve it.

Cheese Tortellini Soup
adapted from The Well-Fed Newlyweds at Tasty Kitchen

14 one cup servings, 3 WW points per serving

Printer Friendly Version

1 TB. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 TB. minced garlic
15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes with basil
1/2 ts. oregano
salt and pepper
10 cups chicken broth
3 cups cheese tortellini, fresh or frozen, I used fresh
3 cups fresh spinach chopped
Parmesan cheese, to serve

In a stock pot heat up oil and cook onion and garlic until soft. Add the tomatoes, oregano, chicken broth, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add the tortellini and cook according to package directions, 7-9 minutes. During the last minute of cooking add the spinach. Remove from heat immediately when tortellini is done cooking so it won't overcook. Serve the soup with Parmesan cheese. I made garlic breadsticks to go with.

No comments:

Post a Comment