Look My Food's On TV!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chocolate Iced Graham Crackers

Lately everything is reminding me of my mom. Many of the memories are happy but many are sad. My hubby and I went to a spaghetti dinner last Saturday and we had to drive the exact route I used to take to see my mom in the nursing home. Driving somewhere shouldn't be so sad. Now I have been fighting off depression since then. When I'm depressed I like to eat, which isn't helpful when you are trying to lose weight. I need to figure out a better way to deal with my grief than stuffing my face with food. It makes me feel better for a few hours and then I'm more depressed because I ate things I shouldn't. It's a vicious cycle.

One thing I made last week that my mom loved was chocolate icing sandwiched between two graham crackers and dipped in milk. Vanilla or cream cheese icing is good to. She wasn't picky. My grandma used to make this for my mom and her siblings as a treat. My mom said that graham crackers were fairly cheap and the icing was made from mixing powdered sugar and milk together. To make chocolate icing you would add cocoa powder. A cheap yet delicious treat. So when I was little my mom used to make this for us but would use canned icing since it was convenient and inexpensive. If you spread some marshmallow fluff on it as well I won't tell anybody. Sometimes the simple pleasures in life are the tastiest.

No comments:

Post a Comment