Look My Food's On TV!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Meatballs

This picture looks messy but meatball sandwiches are messy so I think it's alright. I was inspired to make these from a Taste Of Home Comfort Foods cookbook. The same cookbook I got the wonderful Vegetable Chicken Soup recipe out of. The original recipe calls for beef and for the sandwiches to be open face but I used turkey and as you can see closed the sandwiches. I thought they turned out really good. Will said they were pretty good so that is his stamp of approval. I think I will try these with lean ground beef next time but this time I had ground turkey unthawed.

Meatballs
adapted from a Taste of Home cookbook

Printer Friendly Version

Makes 32 meatballs, 1 WW point per meatball with sauce
Points very for what type of bread and cheese you use for the sandwich

1 package ground turkey, about 1 lb.
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1 egg white
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 small onion chopped finely
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 jar spaghetti sauce

Cheese of choice, I used reduced fat Provolone which equals 1 WW point per slice
Bread of choice, I used ciabatta bread which is about 6 WW points per bun

In a bowl combine the first seven ingredients until fully incorporated. Roll into balls. I used my smallest cookie scoop to try and keep them uniformed and was able to make 32 meatballs. Spray a skillet with cooking spray or lightly coat with olive oil. Brown the meatballs in batches. Once browned place all the meatballs back in the pan and add the jar of spaghetti sauce. Cover the pan and let simmer for 10 to 20 minutes or until the meatballs are completely cooked through. I let them simmer for over 30 minutes. I turned the burner down to low and let them simmer away while I worked on other things. To make a sandwich take the bread and place a slice of cheese on one half of the bread. Place as many meatballs as you want on the cheese and top with the other half of the bread. Place in the microwave and heat for about a minute to allow the the cheese to melt. Enjoy!

These meatballs would be good in pasta too.

No comments:

Post a Comment