Look My Food's On TV!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Vegetable Chicken Soup


I love, love, love my crock pot. I think I have mentioned my love before but it is worth mentioning again. What's not to love? You can throw all the food in the crock pot and it does the work for you. You come home to your house smelling delicious and to a delicious meal. I try to plan a crock pot meal once a week. I work late on Wednesdays and I like to try and feed my husband a home made meal so the crock pot is perfect for that. I found this recipe in one of my new Taste of Home cookbooks. This is out of the 2011 Taste of Home Quick Cooking Annual Recipes. I have a cookbook addiction. It doesn't help when the cookbooks are delivered to my house. This soup is so good. And it's full of veggies which are filling foods. I strayed a bit from the recipe. I didn't saute the veggies before putting them in the crock pot. I added some more veggies and put in pasta instead of barley. With the pasta the soup is 3 WW points per cup. Without it would be 2 WW points per cup.

Vegetable Chicken Soup
adapted from a Taste of Home recipe

Printer Friendly Version


14 one cup servings, 3 WW points per serving

1 large onion, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 chicken breasts
1 can (32 oz) chicken broth
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium yellow squash, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 cup small pasta
1 3/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons pepper

Place all the ingredients but the pasta in a crock pot. Cook on low for 6 hours. At 5 1/2 hours take out the chicken and cut into pieces. Place back in the crock pot. Add the pasta. Cook for the remaining 1/2 hour. Serve with cheese and crackers if desired. Cheese and crackers will add additional points.

No comments:

Post a Comment