Look My Food's On TV!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hockey Pucks-I wasn't sure what else to call them!

Hockey pucks have never tasted so good. These actually really remind me of Ding Dongs. Red velvet Ding Dongs but Ding Dongs nonetheless. I was inspired to make these after having something similar on my birthday. You may remember the little white thingies my cousin brought me from Bloomington. My version are a little bigger but oh so tasty. I made these for Joyce's birthday. She loves red velvet so I knew she would like them. And she did and so did everyone else. Will even liked them before I dipped them in chocolate. These were fairly easy to make. Which is my kind of recipe. You could easily make homemade red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting if you wanted to. I say why bother but that's just me.



Hockey Pucks

Printer Friendly Version

1 box red velvet cake mix, prepared according to the directions on the box
1 can cream cheese icing
1 bag white chocolate melts
2 bags milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoon oil

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Measure out a piece of parchment paper that will fit the cookie sheet and place the paper on the cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Prepare the red velvet mix according to the directions on the box. Spread the batter onto the cookie sheet. Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cook completely.

Once cooled using a round cookie cutter cut out as many rounds as you can. They will peel off the parchment paper easily. Set the scraps aside to eat or you can make cake balls with the leftovers. Cut each cake round in half lengthwise. Spread the cream cheese icing or using a piping bag pipe the icing onto one half of the round and place the other half on top. Like the picture below.

Place the icing filled round on a clean cookie sheet and place the cookie sheet in the freezer to freeze for 15 to 30 minutes.

In a microwave safe bowl melt the white chocolate melts until smooth in 30 second intervals. Once the chocolate is melted take out the cookie sheet and start dipping the rounds one at a time in the chocolate. Cake crumbs will get into the chocolate but I think it gave the finished products character. I think I was able to dip seven of the rounds before running out of white chocolate. If you want all the cakes dipped in white chocolate make sure to purchase a couple more bags and repeat the process.

For the milk chocolate place one bag of chips in a microwave safe bowl with one tablespoon oil. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the chips are meted and smooth. Dip as many rounds as you can until the chocolate runs out. Repeat the above with the second bag of chips to finish dipping the rounds. I didn't have enough chocolate to finish dipping my cakes but Will didn't seem to mind and ate the uncovered ones with now problem.

Next time I want to try chocolate cake with marshmallow icing to be more like a Ding Dong.

1 comment: