Look My Food's On TV!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Corn Casserole

I can't remember a holiday without making corn casserole, sweet potato casserole, and deviled eggs. For Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter my mom and I would whip these dishes up to take to my Godparents house. Let me tell you I hated making deviled eggs. I always had trouble peeling the eggs. My mom made the best deviled eggs so we would make them not only for holidays but for every party we went to. So my mom would peel the eggs and make up the filling and I would fill them using our cookie shooter. I liked that job. When my mom got really sick and went into the nursing home I stopped making deviled eggs. My godmother makes them now. I still make the corn casserole and sweet potato casserole even though I can't find the church cookbooks the recipes were in. We had these two church cookbooks that only got cracked open three times a year. Not because it didn't have good recipes in it but because they were the holiday cookbooks. Now they are gone. I'm not sure what happened to them so I had to find the recipes online. I knew what went in the recipes but couldn't remember quantities. The corn casserole recipe is the same but the sweet potato casserole recipe is a little different. Still really good though.

I'm not really sure why I only make corn casserole three times a year. It's really good and should make it more.

Corn Casserole

Printer Friendly Version

1 can whole kernel yellow corn, undrained
1 can cream style corn
1 8 oz. carton sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 stick butter, melted

Mix all together and pour into a large, lightly oiled casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes. I usually have to cook it for more than an hour.


Mixed together ready to bake.














Baked and ready to eat. Yum, yum.

1 comment:

  1. Hard boiled eggs are easier to peel if you use eggs that are less fresh. Try to use eggs that you've had for about a week. Bring them to a boil and then boil for twelve minutes, covered. Immediately run under cold water. I pour off the hot water first. Then after I run under cold for a couple of minutes I cover them with ice. It keeps the yolks a nice, sunny yellow instead of having that green/gray outside. When I go to peel them, first I run them under warm water for a couple of seconds - just enough to slightly change the temperature. The shells just slip right off for the most part. Every now and then I get a stubborn one, but not very often.

    ReplyDelete