Look My Food's On TV!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Caramel Cupcakes

Have you read The Help by Kathryn Stockett yet? If you haven't you should. Go to your local library and check out this book. Or go buy yourself a copy if you like to have your own books. This really was a fantastic read. It made me laugh, it made me tear up, and it made me think. I was raised to think of everyone equally no matter what color a persons skin is or sexual orientation or gender. I'm thinking I would have gotten myself shot in the 60's living in Jackson Mississippi. Or at least made myself an enemy of Hilly's. I cringed a little every time she opened her mouth. I found it ironic that she didn't want to use the same toilet that her maid did because she worried about diseases but she wasn't worried about her maid washing her clothes, cleaning her house, washing her dishes, or making her food. I think she deserved the Terrible Awful she got from Minny. Her only redeeming quality was that she did love her children. The sad part was that they were probably going to grow up to be just like her. My one complaint about the book was that I would have liked more closure with the characters. I didn't really like the way it ended but other than that it was a great read.

On Tuesday the library had a book discussion on The Help and I made caramel cupcakes for their refreshments. In the book Minny was famous for her caramel cake. Well I made it into cupcakes. Since a recipe wasn't provided with the book I found one online. I think they turned out pretty yummy.

Caramel Cupcakes
recipe found here

Printer Friendly Version

2 sticks of butter
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
8 oz. sour cream
2 2/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

In a mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until fully incorporated. Line your cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners. Fill your cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter. The batter will be thick. An ice cream scoop works very well for this. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until no longer gooey in the middle.

If you don't want cupcakes this will make a three layer cake.

Caramel Frosting

2 sticks butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

In a saucepan melt the butter, brown sugar, and evaporated milk together. Once melted cook over medium heat for two minutes and two minutes only. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Will generously frost 24 cupcakes with plenty of frosting left over. If you make the three layer cake this will frost that.

No comments:

Post a Comment