Look My Food's On TV!

Monday, January 2, 2012

Baked Blueberry and Peach Oatmeal

I think I was fated to make this oatmeal. I first saw it on Emily Bites and thought it looked fantastic. Then I saw it a few days later in Taste of Homes December 2011/January 2012 Healthy Cooking Magazine. Fated. I'm not a huge fan of oatmeal but I really like it baked. This recipe was really good. The peaches and blueberries gave it a great flavor and the pecans gave it a nice crunch. I enjoyed the warm oatmeal with milk on top but it was moist without. I bet these would be good baked into muffin cups. Breakfast to go.

Emily lightened up the recipe a little more by swapping the oil for unsweetened apple sauce. The recipe calls to use a 7X11 pan. I don't own one so I used a 9X13. I bet it would be thicker in a 7X11 pan but I made due with what I had. Instead of doing 9 servings I did 6.


Baked Blueberry and Peach Oatmeal
from Emily Bites

9 servings, 6 WW points per serving
6 servings, 9 WW points per serving

Printer Friendly Version

3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 egg
1 1/4 cups skim milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 can (15 oz) sliced peaches in water, drained and chopped
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/3 cup pecans or walnuts

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees

Combine oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites, egg, applesauce, milk and vanilla. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir until blended together. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes and then add the blueberries and peaches.

Spray a 7X11 or a 9X13 pan with cooking spray and pour in the oatmeal mixture. Spread evenly and sprinkle with pecans. Bake for 35-40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment