Look My Food's On TV!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Oatmeal Cookies with Coffee Icing

This month at the library we discussed The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen. Ms. Allen wove a tale of mystery, romance, and magic. I enjoyed it but the ladies thought it was better suited for a younger crowd. That is probably why I liked it. I'm the youngest in the crowd. In the book there were coffee infused treats and these oatmeal cookies were one of them. I found the recipe on the authors website and she got it from Salad in a Jar.

These cookies are great. They are soft, slightly crisp around the edges, and a little chewy. They have great flavor. I'm not a huge fan of oatmeal cookies and I loved them.

Oatmeal Cookies with Coffee Icing
adapted from Salad in a Jar

Printer Friendly Version

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups old fashioned oats
(the original recipe says to use quick cooking oats but I didn't have any on hand and I think that the old fashioned oats worked out fine)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Whip butter until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until well mixed. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Whisk together flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Add to butter mixture. Stir in oats. Drop onto cookie sheet by teaspoonfuls. I used my silicone baking mat on my cookie sheet and my medium sized cookie scoop. They spread a good bit so leave plenty of room. The original recipe says to cook for 6-8 minutes but mine took 10-12.

Coffee Flavored Powdered Sugar Glaze
Mix 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons black coffee (or milk if you prefer) and mix until smooth. You may need to add more liquid to make glaze spreadable.


No comments:

Post a Comment